Thursday, November 13, 2008

Techneek of the Week - Sparkly Snowflakes

Tis the season, eh? For snow on the ground, and winter sports starting up, and more time indoors for scrapbooking!!

I was inspired by the lovely snowfall we had in Edmonton the other day...which is now pretty much gone because the temperature shot right back up! So I didn't even get a picture of the first snow of the year...but I'm makingup for it with these gorgeous SPARKLY SNOWFLAKES!

I'm showcasing a number of techniques in this post to turn your acrylic or chipboard snowflakes into fabulous embellishments that will go great on all those winter layouts I'm planning...once we actually get "real" snow!!


NOTE: Blogger is up to its old tricks and is flipping some of my photos. It shouldn't effect the "lesson" learned here today, but it is a little bit annoying!!



_____________________________________

First Techneek - Juli's Technique ala Lisa
You will need:
  • Chipboard snowflake - I'm using the new Riff Raff Designs
  • Ranger Perfect Pearls in the Pearl colour
  • Pearl alcohol ink
  • Glossy accents
  • Fluffy paintbrush

  • Step One: Working on a small area at a time, cover the shape in alcohol ink. Then quickly sprinkle the Perfect Pearls over the still wet alcohol ink using your fluffy paintbrush.
    Step Two: Keep applying the alcohol ink and then the Perfect Pearls until you have covered the entire shape. Now we wait until it dries.

    Step Three: Once it is dry, cover the entire shape with a nice thick coat of glossy accents. Now we wait until that dries, which will take at least an hour.

    Pictured below:

    The top snowflake has alcohol ink and Perfect Pearls, but no glossy accents. This is a very nice, subtle shimmery look. The bottom snowflake is coated in glossy accents that are still drying. And I am a goober and didn't take a picture of the finished product! Doy! Check out this post on my personal blog for an example in colour!

    _______________________________________


    Second Techneek - Super Glitter

    You will need:
  • Glitter - I used Doodlebug white and some old silver stuff we had lying around
  • Acrylic/plastic snowflakes - I'm using Maya Road
  • Glossy accents

  • Step One: Cover the shape with glossy accents. If you don't mind getting messy, it's really easy to just squirt a big glob of glossy accents on the shape and smear is around with your fingers. That way you get a nice smooth, thin coverage.

    This is what it will look like all covered with glossy accents. NOW, you could stop here and you would have a nice shiny snowflake, but today we're going for SPARKLY, so...


    Step Two: Sprinkle the white Doodlebug glitter all over the shape. Try not to just dump it on because you'll just end up with a big glob of glitter!


    Step Three: Before I tapped off the excess white glitter, I added some silver around the edges. This just gives it a little more dimension, more interest!

    Step Four: Tap off the excess glitter and let the whole thing dry fully!

    Pictured below: The finished product! See how the silver glitter gives a nice subtle contrast and adds some depth!

    ______________________________________

    Techneek #3 - Champagne Wishes

    You will need:
  • Acrylic/plastic snowflake shape (2)
  • Ranger Alcohol Ink in two shades of blue - I used Stream and Stonewash
  • blue Ice Stickles - I used these instead of regular Stickles because it gives a more subtle sparkle, but you should use whatever kind you have on hand!
  • Sparkly embossing powder - I used Whispers brand Holographic powder
  • Clear Embossing ink pad
  • Heat emboss gun
  • PROTECT YOUR WORK SURFACE AND YOUR CLOTHES! We are using alcohol ink, which stains!
  • Now I'm calling this techneek "Champagne Wishes" because we're using alcohol ink and sparkles. I know...I'm so clever! And I'm using alcohol ink as the base for two different techniques, so watch for the change-up!

    Step One: Choose your first colour of ink (here it's Stream, but it doesn't actually matter what you start with!). Drop some ink onto your shape and smear it around, either by rotating the shape, or using your fingers if you don't mind getting messy!Keep applying ink and smearing it around until your entire shape is covered. Now set this one aside to dry and grab the second snowflake and the second colour of alcohol ink.

    Apply the next colour of alcohol ink to the next snowflake the same way you did with the first one. Let them both dry.


    Pictured Below: the dry alcohol ink.

    Using Embossing Powder



    Step One: Press your snowflake into the clear embossing ink (or press the ink pad into the shape, your choice!) making sure the ink covers the entire surface.

    Step Two: Sprinkle the sparkly embossing powder all over the shape.
    Step Three: Tap off the excess powder.

    Step Four: Heat emboss. Now remember, and this is important, your heat gun will melt the plastic and make it curvy, especially if you leave the heat on it for too long. Keep the gun moving, and once you see the embossing powder setting don't go back over that spot! Let it sit for a moment once your done before picking it up, as it will be super hot!!

    And I can't figure out why I didn't post pictures of the finished snowflakes...and now I'm at work so I can't check to see if I even TOOK this picture!! Trust me that they look totally cool and sparkly!!



    On the second blue snowflake I smeared the Ice Stickles all over. Keep in mind that Stickles WILL NOT STICK TO ACRYLIC SHAPES on it's own. It will just flake right off once it has dried. So I applied the alcohol ink as a base, and am hoping that this solves that problem! I'll let you know tomorrow!!

    ________________________________________

    Techneek the Fourth - The Home Stretch!

    You will need:

  • Chipboard snowflake
  • Ranger Liquid Pearls - I think I used the Pearl colour...exciting, I know! But there's a nice silver and light blue that would look great on a snowflake as well!

  • Step One: Apply Liquid Pearls all over the surface of your snowflake.

    Now, unless you spread it with a different tool (like your fingers or a popsicle stick or something) it's going to look bumpy-lumpy. I think it justs adds some nice, unique texture to the snowflake. If you want it to be smooth you will just have to smooth it with your fingers or popsicle stick or something else!



    I'll try and post some completed projects tomorrow, using my new sparkly snowflakes!! I must say that I had a tonne of fun making these little guys! And now I have a nice little stack of embellishments ready for future scrapbooking!!

    ______________________________________

    Now you'll want to check back next week, like for sure, as I'm doing a special post featuring the favourite techneeks of the rest of the Treasured Memories "Design Team"...and I'll be doing a little giveaway! WOOT! Free Stuff!!

    No comments: